The Talented Mr. Young

When I did the How To Draw books, I was worried that I made the drawing lessons too difficult. But when I was a young artist, I always enjoyed being challenged because I knew it made me a better. What's crazy is that I keep getting these incredible drawings from artists all over the country that make me believe that I made the lessons just right.

One of those artists is L. Young, from Castro Valley In California. Mr Young is 9 and easily a better artist then I was when I was 9. L. Young sent me this image of the camel, and he did an amazing job.




Great work L.! I like how you turned it into a bit of a scientific illustration by labeling the different parts of the Camel. Scientific illustrators are needed in the art industry. Maybe it's a career you should look into.

Now for the critique! My favorite part of your drawing is the head of the camel. It's very distinguishable as a camel head, great shape and size. Nice work!



If you ever attempt the the camel again and you want to improve it, focus on the structure of the legs. You want the legs to look like they're truly bearing the weight of the camel. To do that all you have to do is make the legs straighter. Over all though - this is a great image and you're clearly on your way to a hobby or career in art work.

Great job Mr. Young!