Christian's drawings

I got some more artwork from you guys, keep them rolling in, I want to see your drawings!


Here's three amazing pieces from Christian who's 12 and says he draws every day. Do you ever get a sore thumb Christian? For some reason my thumb always gets sore first when I draw for too long.






I can't believe how well people do on the beggar. This is top notch, Christian! Really fine work. The strongest part of your illustration is the face. There's a lot of structure and detail going on in there that's hard to define, but you recreated it very well. The proportions are good, and the detail is there. Nice!

The area of improvement that caught my eye was the length of the fingers. They seemed a little short and stubby. Hands and feet are the most difficult though and yours are still really good.




Next, Christian did the ol' carpenter! I love the titles you added by the way!





You're right, let's just call him Noah. Great job! With his wrinkly face and his hairy body, it's easy to get lost in the details, but it looks like you stayed focused. Especially on those feet! Sandals with straps like that are hard to draw because you have to keep track of them all in your mind. You made it look easy!

The area of improvement on this illustration is in the balance. If you look at your drawing, Noah seems to be leaning forward a little bit. His weight would seem more balanced if he was leaning to the left side of the page a little more. It's kind of a hard thing to keep track of, but you can always check the balance of your character before you switch over to pen or dark pencil for details. All in all - Well done!





And the final illustration of Christian's is the Giant! It's one of my favorites in case you haven't seen the video on the Luke 2:52 website yet. I love drawing the giant. Over all, Christian, this is your strongest of the three. I didn't do a formal critique on it because it's just darn good. If anything, his left eye is a little squished and lost in lines, but that's all I could see. This is a very strong illustration. Congratulations!





With that said there's always room for improvement, so don't ever feel like you can't try a drawing again and see if you can improve on it. I packed tons of detail into these drawings so that there would always be more things to learn about.

Keep drawing everyone, and keep your pencils sharp! I gotta get to bed so I can get up early tomorrow and do a couple drawings before I head off to work. g'night!